Why it is
To talk about…
~85% to 90% of patients with BPDCN present with skin lesions1-3
Dermatologists may be the first to recognize the signs of BPDCN and biopsy unusual or treatment-resistant lesions4-6Follow the
The CD123 marker is highly expressed (~95%) on BPDCN cells1,5,7
Pathologists can test for BPDCN by including CD123, in combination with CD4 and CD56, in every hematologic diagnostic panel4,8*Follow the
BPDCN is a rare and clinically aggressive hematologic malignancy with poor outcomes7,9,10
Hematologist-Oncologists can push for an early diagnosis of BPDCN to help improve its poor outcomes and provide appropriate treatment4,10Follow the hemato-oncologists’ path
Early diagnosis of this deadly cancer is critical and may take a multidisciplinary team4
* The diagnosis of BPDCN requires immunophenotyping and fundamentally relies on the demonstration of CD4, CD56, CD123, CD303, and TCL1 expression, together with a lack of expression of markers for B cells, T cells, myeloid or monocytic cells, and NK cells.4,5
BPDCN = blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm;
CD = cluster of differentiation;
NK = natural killer;
TCL1 = T-cell leukemia/lymphoma protein 1A.
- 1. Laribi K, et al. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016;22(8):1357-1367.
- 2. Sullivan JM, Rizzieri DA. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2016(1):16-23.
- 3. Julia F, et al. Br J Dermatol. 2013;169(3):579-586.
- 4. Pagano L, et al. Br J Haematol. 2016;174(2):188-202.
- 5. Facchetti F, et al. Mod Pathol. 2016;29(2):98-111.
- 6. Shapiro R, et al. J Cell Sci Ther. 2015;S8:008.doi:10.4172/2157-7013.S8-008.
- 7. Pagano L, et al. Haematologica. 2013;98(2):239-246.
- 8. Pemmaraju N, Konopleva M. Blood Adv. 2020 Aug 25;4(16):4020-4027.
- 9. Laribi K, et al. Blood Adv. 2020 Oct 13;4(19):4838-4848.
- 10. Deconinck E, et al. 2021 Fast Facts© S. Karger Publishers Ltd.